Friday, April 1, 2016

Five for Friday, April 1, 2016

Doodle Bugs Teaching

This is my very first Five for Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching!

I'm so excited!



Do you have rockers? I mean children who CONSTANTLY rock in their chairs? We tried an experiment.  We bought these super cute stools from IKEA for our reading tables in 1st grade and the kids LOVE them! They are sitting up straighter, not wiggling as much and basically cannot rock! Well, I do have one who tries, but essentially, the rocking has been eliminated! Now it's only been the first week, so I will update in a couple weeks. :)

Get this...

They were only $4.99 at IKEA and amazingly sturdy!  Check them out HERE.
We bought both black and red stools and they look super cute around the table and fit nicely under the reading table. We will have to raise our table a little though...



Maybe it's the novelty of the stools, but they all want to sit at the table to work when it's not used for small group!



I hate to brag, but I have amazing parent volunteers. One mom organized my desk drawers and my cabinet. This was one of the most amazing gifts anyone could give me. Typically I just shove things in my desk or cabinet because who has time to find the right place and be neat about it? Well, maybe that's just one of my issues... Anyway, they look amazing now! She even bought the little blue containers! 



We have caterpillars to watch grow and change! A wonderful parent donated them and this is her daughter in the picture. The caterpillars are getting bigger everyday. They've almost doubled in size just in the past couple days. The kids are so excited they can barely see straight! I am pretty excited myself. :)


To go with our caterpillars we put together Butterfly Life Cycle FLIP Books. These are so much fun and easy to cut, glue, staple and read! Each stage of the butterfly life cycle is explained in detail under each flap.







Butterfly Life Cycle FLIP Book

We are getting ready for 2nd Grade! Together we created this Goals list for 2nd grade and point to it daily saying, "remember rule #1!" or "Before coming to me, rule #6!" I guess I'm not the best photographer because the numbers were chopped off, but you get the idea. So far this list has helped keep them focused on their goals for the rest of the year!


Thank you so much for stopping by!

Let me know what your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!
Thanks for visiting and don't forget to follow my blog or follow me on Bloglovin' (See icon above on the right.) and "SAVE" this post on Bloglovin'!

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE those stools!! Great idea!! And can I say how lucky you are to have parent volunteers. I have NONE, and in our entire first grade (5 teachers and about 120 kids we have a grand total of 3 consistent volunteers). Your flipbooks are super cute!!

    Wishing you all the best in April!
    Melanie
    Momma with a Teaching Mission

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far we love the stools! They sit up straighter and even though we still have some wigglers, that has been reduced. Yes I am fortunate to have wonderful volunteers this year. That is not always the case from year to year. Thanks so much for visiting! Have a wonderful rest of the year!

      Delete
  2. You really do have amazing parent volunteers! I don't have any this year, so I'm a little jealous. Good for you, though!
    Those caterpillars do look like fun! I know my kids would go crazy if we had some. I don't teach science, but I surely could find a way to incorporate it into the curriculum.
    Sarah
    Shine on in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,
      Yes, I am very lucky this year with volunteers. That is not always the case from year to year! Maybe next year will be better for you. We are having fun with the caterpillars and my 1st graders check on them constantly! Thanks for visiting my new blog and have a wonderful rest of the year!

      Delete
  3. I've been debating those stools for awhile...always looking for different seating ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are crossing our fingers that the stools help them with their posture and reduce the rocking and wiggling. So far so good, and since they are so inexpensive, it's not a huge investment. Luckily we found $$ in our budget for them .I know that is not always the case for teachers. Thanks for visiting my new blog and have a wonderful rest of the school year!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you have parent volunteers that come in. I have never had one. None of the parents in our community have ever done it. I would love to hear how you implement it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At open house in the fall I announce that I LOVE to have parent volunteers help out and I specify what jobs they might do... small reading groups, clerical work, bulletin boards, etc. I let them decide depending on what they feel most comfortable doing. I have them pick a day of the week that works for their schedule and they commit to coming in each week on that day. I have found that when I have parents come in to help, they become my biggest allies. Some of them have become good friends. Good luck with rounding up those parent helpers and with the rest of your school year!

      Joyce

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...